Notes from Defining Moments episode, ‘Leading Givers and Takers,’ with Bill Hybels and Jeff Lockyer.
Takers can do a huge amount of damage.
- When someone uses “I” instead of “we” statements.
- People who are employed by churches are not perfect – they have not come from ideal backgrounds or circumstances.
- Many people become broken before they become Christians!
- Sometimes transitioning to church employment can highlight blind spots or taker tendencies – someone has been used to taking credit to prove themselves.
- Give real time coaching – encouraging people doing something right as well as correcting / pointing out missed opportunities.
- Debriefing after meetings and having appropriate follow up conversations.
- When someone apologises rapidly and is embarrassed by what is pointed out it’s a positive sign.
- If you continually have the same conversation, try having a different one with consequences.
Notes by Suzy Williamson
Watch Video Buy MP3