DCL 6.5 Instruction | Responsibility Strengthens Your Talent
This lesson presented by Todd Mullins does not entirely follow the notes. In addition to elements of the material Todd shares the need to have a healthy soul to enable leaders to lead with character and integrity.
Video Presentation: Todd Mullins, Lead Pastor, Christ Fellowship, Florida
Success on any major scale always requires a person to accept responsibility. In the final analysis, the one quality all successful people have is the ability to take on responsibility.
Many people overvalue talent and undervalue responsibility. Here are several reasons we must learn to accept responsibility:
1. Responsibility provides the foundation for success.
2. Responsibility, handled correctly, leads to more responsibility.
3. Responsibility maximises ability and opportunity.
4. Responsibility, over time, builds a solid reputation.
Consider the following steps to help you become a talent-plus person when it comes to responsibility:
1. Start wherever you are.
2. Choose your friends wisely.
3. Stop blaming others.
4. Make tough decisions and stand by them.
5. Live beyond yourself by serving others.
Learn responsibility’s major lessons:
- Recognise that gaining success requires self-discipline.
- When you start, finish.
- Know when others are depending on you.
- Don’t wait for others to step up and take responsibility.
Biblical Case Study: King Zedekiah (Jeremiah 38:1-6)
Abuse of power occurs not only when evil leaders act out of selfishness, but when good leaders neglect to do what is right. King Zedekiah delegated an undesirable task to someone else, declaring himself powerless to act (v. 5). The king lacked the character and courage to do the right thing.
On the other hand, Jeremiah remained responsible to a call he didn’t like. He proclaimed destruction against his own people. He faced his responsibility to obey God. He put responsibility before popularity (v. 3).
ASSESSMENT AND APPLICATION
Are you facing a tough decision in your ministry, job, or personal life? Why are you not taking action?
Prayerfully seek God’s guidance in making the tough decision. Make the decision and determine to follow through on that decision just as soon as possible.
DCL Meditation and Inspiration Media and Notes © Willow Creek Association.
DCL Instruction Media and Notes © EQUIP Million Leaders Mandate Volume 2