DCL 6.6 Instruction | Teamwork Multiples Your Talent
Video Presentation: John Hull, President / CEO EQUIP
In his book, The 17 Indispensable Laws of Teamwork, John Maxwell states the number one law of teamwork, The Law of Significance: One is too small a number to achieve greatness. If you want to accomplish something really big that makes a major difference, then do it as part of a team. Teamwork not only allows a person to do what he couldn’t otherwise do; it also has a compounding effect on all he possesses – including his talent. If you believe one person is a work of God, then a group of talented people committed to working together is a work of art. Whatever your vision or desire, teamwork makes the dream work.
1. Teamwork divides the effort but multiplies the effect.
2. Talent wins games, but teamwork wins championships.
3. Teamwork is not about you.
4. Great teams create a sense of community.
5. Adding value to others adds value to you.
All talented people have a choice to make–do their own thing and get all the credit, or do the team thing and share the credit. Talented people accomplish more when working with others, but they are also more fulfilled than those who go it alone. John Hull, President and CEO of EQUIP said, “Trying to accomplish a big task alone is the slowest of journeys and the blandest of journeys.” If it is your desire to choose teamwork over solo effort, then do the following:
1. Accept the Law of Significance: One is too small a number to achieve greatness.
2. Include a team in your dream.
3. Develop your team.
4. Give the credit for success to the team.
If you can accomplish your dream alone, it probably isn’t a God-given dream. A dream from God will also require a team…and require God’s supernatural blessing.
- Why do you think teamwork is such a vital component of becoming a talent-plus person?
Biblical Case Study: Jesus and the Disciples (Mark 2:14-17)
Jesus recruited and mentored the most important team ever assembled. His team would launch His church on the journey to fulfil His Great Commission. He chose specific people for specific roles. In Mark 2, we read about how Jesus called Matthew, the tax collector, to His team. He seemed to be a very odd choice, but Jesus was never bound by human opinion. He saw more than present status; He saw future potential.
You must learn how to find team members with the highest potential to embrace the dream and help move the dream to reality. They need to possess the following qualities:
1. Faithfulness – Are they hard working where they are?
2. Availability – Are they willing to invest their time and talent?
3. Initiative – Are they action-oriented?
4. Teachable spirit – Are they willing to learn from others?
5. Hungry to learn – Do they have a passion to grow?
Also in Mark 2 is the account of the four men who brought the paralytic to Jesus. The world is full of helpless people who need to be brought to Jesus. Four qualities comprise all teams committed to the fulfilment of God’s redemptive dream for a lost world.
1. Faith – Jesus can meet the need of every lost person.
2. Love – We love the lost because of His love in our hearts.
3. Wisdom – Wisdom insists that teamwork is the key to success.
4. Persistence – We do not allow adversity to defeat us.
Thirteen Choices Made by a Talent-Plus Leader (A review)
1. Belief lifts my talent.
2. Passion energises my talent.
3. Initiative activates my talent.
4. Focus directs my talent.
5. Preparation positions my talent.
6. Practice sharpens my talent.
7. Perseverance sustains my talent.
8. Courage tests my talent.
9. Teachability expands my talent.
10. Character protects my talent.
11. Responsibility strengthens my talent.
12. Relationships influence my talent.
13. Teamwork multiplies my talent.
ASSESSMENT AND APPLICATION
Are you a good team player? Do your goals primarily benefit you? Do you place the success of your team/ministry above your own success? If you think everything is about you, you will never be a good team player.
Are you adding value to people on your team? Think of three people on your team who you believe have high potential. Write out a plan for how you can invest in each of them.
DCL Meditation and Inspiration Media and Notes © Willow Creek Association.
DCL Instruction Media and Notes © EQUIP Million Leaders Mandate Volume 2