DCL 3.5 Instruction | Model the Behaviour You Desire
Video Presentation: Tom Atema, VP of International Ministries and Strategic Partnerships, EQUIP
You will reproduce what you are, not what you want! Leaders need to be what they want to see in their followers. Here’s how this works:
1. Your behaviour determines the culture of your organisation.
2. Your attitude determines the atmosphere.
3. Your values determine the decisions.
4. Your investment determines the return.
5. Your character determines the trust.
6. Your work ethic determines the productivity.
7. Your growth determines the potential.
Followers tend to become like their leaders. If you don’t like what your people are doing, first take a look at yourself.
Biblical Case Study: David’s Inner Circle (2 Samuel 8:15-18)
Almost everyone knows that David, the shepherd boy, killed a giant and later became King of Israel. What many don’t remember is that in the years before he ascended to the throne, David gathered warriors and created an army. Just like himself, many of David’s men became giant killers. Leaders can reproduce only what they have become themselves. The Law of Reproduction in The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership says, “It takes a leader to raise up a leader.” We teach what we know, but we reproduce what we are. Consider the following truths about leaders:
- It takes one to know one.
- It takes one to show one.
- It takes one to grow one.
- What plan do you have to continue to grow as a leader and to grow other leaders?
DCL Meditation and Inspiration Media and Notes © Willow Creek Association
DCL Instruction Media and Notes © EQUIP Million Leaders Mandate Volume 2