DCL 3.2 Instruction | The Tension Challenge
”And David behaved wisely in all his ways, and the Lord was with him.
Therefore, when Saul saw that he behaved very wisely, he was afraid of him.”
1 Samuel 18:14-15
If you are a leader in the middle of an organization, you have a challenging job. Everyone who attempts to serve effectively as a 360 Degree Leader faces common challenges. At times you may feel like you are banging your head against a brick wall. In this lesson we will discuss seven challenges faced by middle level leaders.
Video Presentation: Todd Mullins, Lead Pastor, Christ Fellowship, Florida
One of the greatest challenges of being a leader in the middle of an organisation is that you are often unsure just where you stand. You have some power and authority and can make some decisions. At the same time, you lack power and authority in other areas. If you overstep your authority, you can get yourself into real trouble.
Here are five suggestions for relieving the tension challenge:
1. Determine how much authority and responsibility the person above you has given to you.
2. Accept the fact that you may receive limited recognition and appreciation.
3. Know what is expected of you by your senior leaders.
4. Never violate the trust of your leaders.
5. Take initiative without overstepping your boundaries.
Biblical Case Study: Joab (2 Samuel 3:6-39, 1 Kings 2:28-33)
Joab was one of David’s mighty men and a very successful army commander. For many years he served David with devotion and effectiveness. However, on a few occasions he overstepped his boundaries and forgot whom he was serving. When David extended mercy to Abner, a former enemy, Joab strongly disagreed with David. Without telling the king his plans, Joab plotted to kill Abner. Eventually Joab’s actions cost him everything. Joab violated trust by:
1. Ignoring the desires of the senior leader.
2. Taking matters into his own hands.
3. Taking action in secret.
4. Overstepping his authority.
5. Serving his own selfish interests.
- Can you identify with the tension challenge—feeling caught in the middle of your organisation?
- What steps will you take to relieve the tension associated with being a 360 Degree Leader?
DCL Meditation and Inspiration Media and Notes © Willow Creek Association
DCL Instruction Media and Notes © EQUIP Million Leaders Mandate Volume 2