DCL 3.1 Instruction | The Position Myth
The number one misconception about leadership is the belief that leadership comes simply from having a position or title. Nothing could be further from the truth! A place at the top will not make anyone a leader. In The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership, the “Law of Influence” states it well: “The true measure of leadership is influence – nothing more, nothing less.” As potential leaders learn the dynamics of how to grow their influence, they soon discover that position has little to do with genuine leadership. Influencing others is a matter of disposition, not position.
Video Presentation: Tom Atema, VP of International Ministries and Strategic Partnerships, EQUIP
Biblical Case Study: Jethro and Moses (Exodus 18:13-26)
Jethro, the father-in-law of Moses, held no official position in the leadership structure established by Moses and the children of Israel. When Jethro saw Moses trying to lead more than a million disgruntled, displaced ex-slaves, he immediately became a major leadership influence in Moses’ life. Even without a title or position, Jethro influenced the top leader and through Moses, Jethro ultimately influenced the entire nation of Israel.
Something wonderful happened to Moses when he heeded wise counsel from Jethro. Moses moved from simply ministering to leading. Instead of doing all the judging himself, he released other leaders to join him and lead according to their gifts. Jethro helped Moses change both his way of thinking and his way of working. As a result, Moses became an effective leader. Here are some changes Moses made:
1. He became a man of prayer. (v. 19)
2. He communicated the vision. (v. 20)
3. He developed an action plan. (v. 20)
4. He selected and trained leaders. (v. 21)
5. He released them to do the work. (v. 22)
6. He did only what they could not do. (v. 22)
- Have you believed the myth that you cannot lead effectively because you are not in the top position in your organisation? Explain.
- What could happen in your organisation if you believed that you could lead effectively from your current position?
DCL Meditation and Inspiration Media and Notes © Willow Creek Association
DCL Instruction Media and Notes © EQUIP Million Leaders Mandate Volume 2